Musings of Navigating The Finite remainder of life from Porchville, with the hope of a glimpse of The Infinite

Thursday, September 2, 2010

LST 325 And My New Camera Are In Pittsburgh

Note!  Check out my other posts on LSTs and LST 325:

LST: I Owe My Existence To Winston Churchill


Touring LST-325

Chasing LST-325 Down The Ohio River


It made it! LST 325 arrived in Pittsburgh yesterday. It pulled along the USS Requin, our resident WWII submarine, and the two craft saluted each other with shots from their deck guns. (I miss all the cool stuff with this odd requirement for employment.)

I had thought about going down to the north shore of the Ohio across from Neville Island and get a photo of the LST as it passed the old Dravo site. I woke up yesterday morning, checked the location with the tracker, and it was sitting where I wanted the photo, probably waiting for access to the Emsworth Locks. Meanwhile I am sitting 20 miles on the wrong side of Pittsburgh with a huge rush hour between me and the LST. Not to mention that I have a new camera that I don't know how to use.

The camera came and I have no idea how to use it. The demands of everyday life have prevented me (basically a boy--albeit an ancient one) from playing with the camera (basically a toy--albeit a somewhat expensive one). Alas, boys and their toys, a great sadness results when they are separated.

Read about LST 325 here:

Pittsburgh Post Gazette, WWII Navy transport spurs memories Thursday, September 02, 2010, Torsten Ove

PHOTO CREDIT: Darrell Sapp, Pittsburgh Post Gazette (above article)

1 comment:

  1. Now, Sextant, you're staying up entirely too late for a boy of any age. You'll be too tired to play with your new camera.

    Chicago has a resident WWII sub, too, that really is a resident. It's the German U-505, and its home is inside the Museum of Science and Industry, not far from Lake Michigan but not in it.

    ReplyDelete