Musings of Navigating The Finite remainder of life from Porchville, with the hope of a glimpse of The Infinite

Friday, December 24, 2010

New Editor In Blogger

I was snooping around in the dashboard this morning and found out that there is a new improved editor for Blogger.  I did not know that, nor am I sure how one finds these things out.  I just ran across it by accident.

Here is an overview describing the new editor:

New Editor Overview

Here are some of the things you can do with the new editor:


Bullet Lists
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  • Item 3
Numbered Lists
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  3. Item 3

    Change Fonts:  Arial, Courier, Georgia, Helvetica, Times, Trebuchet, Verdana

    Change Font Size:  Smallest, Small, Normal, Large, Largest

    They still have BOLD, ITALICS, UNDERLINE but have also added STRIKE THROUGH

    You can change your TEXT COLOR.  and add highlighting of various colors

    And it also has a on borred spell checker that highlights misssspellings while you are in the editor but not when you pubblish the post. (I had to highlight borred and misssspellings to show the effect, but it still didn't show up on the published version)

    There is also an alignment tool that gives you one click

    centering

    right alignment

    Or full margin to margin alignment that will need a lot of typing to demonstrate.  Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog's back.  Four score and seven years ago, I did not bother to learn the Gettysburg Address and I still don't know it so perhaps I should try the Constitution of the United States, We the people have the right not to know that either by heart so maybe I will just give up and hope that the margin to margin alignment will be adequately demonstrated  by this stupid paragraph.

    There is something called insert a jump break EDIT which I just figured out what it does.  If you see "Read More" below click on it to see the remainder of this post.
    But I am not sure what it does.  I inserted between "break" and "but".  I still don't know what it does.  EDIT What it does is to allow you to display only part of your post with a "Read More" note to bring up the rest of your post.  This would be useful if you have many posts that you want displayed simultaneously.  It will hide everything after the jump break and allow more room on the initial screen.  It works when there has not been a link to the specific post.  So if some one comes into your blog they will see Read More, but if they come into the specific post, the whole post appears without the Read More message. 

    Links are a bit easier to insert.  There are undo and redo buttons (the undo seemed to delete my whole post, use with care).  There are improvements in photo handling.
     
    To get the new editor:  Sign in, go to the DASHBOARD.  Then click the SETTINGS tab.  Scroll to the bottom of the screen to GLOBAL SETTINGS,  Look for SELECT POST EDITOR, and choose the UPDATED EDITOR  Then click the SAVE SETTINGS button at the bottom of the screen.

    I am not sure just yet that I like the new editor.  There have been a number of clunky things going on that I am not sure are errors or just my non-familiarity with the new editor.  If you decide you don't like the new editor, it appears that you can return to the old editor using the same method above.   

    No comments:

    Post a Comment